Thursday 26 May 2011

Home from Ireland

Now back home, but completely exhausted after driving over 1,000 miles around Ireland in the last 7 days, often on narrow, winding and very uneven roads.  It wasn't so much a holiday as an endurance test at times, especially when it was raining!  But at least my Canadian friends enjoyed all the places we managed to visit - Galway, Cliffs of Moher, Connemara mountains, the wonderful coast of Mayo, Tipperary, Offaly (including Obama's 'ancestral home' in Moneygall - the day AFTER he visited), Wicklow Mountains, and a tour of Dublin.  Photos to follow once I download them all.

Think I now need another holiday to recover!  BUT I did get a glimmer of an idea for a new novel, based on a visit to a reconstruction of John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara's cottage in 'The Quiet Man' movie.  In the Visitor's Book there, we saw Maureen O'Hara's signature and discovered that she had also visited (the day BEFORE we were there - is this my fate? - to visit places the day after someone important has visited?). Anyway, a seed was planted in my mind, and hopefully will grow into my next book.  Meantime, I have to forget Ireland for the moment and return to my 'Nile Romance' WIP.

Will try to get back 'into gear' tomorrow - correction, will HAVE to get back into gear tomorrow, as I have several blog guest spots to sort out as promo for the release of 'His Leading Lady' in June.    

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! A trip around Ireland on narrow roads sounds like such a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An exhausting vacation - some of those roads demand every ounce of concentration, especially when you meet a tour bus coming the other way
    :-)
    Thank you both for dropping by. Agree that Ireland is magical, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does sound like you need a vacation from your vacation! Wow, what a lot to to and already a lot done. But that's great that you have material for a new one, let's just hope it doesn't get forgotten when working on your WIP first! Best of luck with all you have to accomplish coming up.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip, Paula, I've never been to Ireland, although my husband used to go fairly frequently when he was a 'trucker'.

    Thanks for your comment on my Blog. Don't forget to let me know if you'd like your book featured on it when it's released.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sara and Lyn - think I have just about recovered now :-)
    Writing and sending off stuff for blog visits is time-consuming, so WIP is stagnating slightly, but have to get priorities right - new release takes precedence at the moment!

    ReplyDelete